To ensure long-lasting operation of your solar system you should first ensure reliability and durability of your rooftop. There are many roofing companies in modern markets that propose different types of roofing for residential areas. Examples include;
- metal roofing
- asphalt shingles roofing
- natural slate roofing
- wood roofing
- tile roofing and other.
As you can see roofing materials and roofing types can be different. To determine which type is the best roofing for your residential area you should collect data on pros and cons of different types. There is a lot of information in the internet, but a professional opinion is very important.
Today we will speak about metal roofing. Modern metal roofing manufacturers propose several quality roofing types.
- aluminum roofing
- copper roofing
- corrugated metal roofing
- metal tile roofs
- tin roofing
Besides the above-mentioned metal roofing types there are also jasper roofing, titan roofing, and other. In order to figure out which option is the most reliable roofing, that meets all your requirements here is some useful information.
First, what is galvanized roofing and galvalume roofing? In the process of manufacturing the metal roofing sheets are coated with zinc for more durable performance. This is called galvanized roofing. However, galvalume roofing proves to be more reliable and long-lasting. In contrast to galvanized roofing galvalume roofing is a mixture of zinc, aluminum and silicone.
Despite the type all coatings are available with varying levels of thickness. The thicker is the coating the higher is the price. But thick coating is the guarantee of an everlast roofing, so think twice before making a final decision upon your future roofing type. However, the necessity to recoat will appear at some point of long-term exposure to the elements. A simple polymer recoating will restore the primary look of your metal roof. The proper maintenance of this type of roof is quite simple and will enhance its durability. A soapy water washing is enough. When washing the roof avoid using materials that can scratch the surface. If you do scratch the surface, you can restore it by applying some paint on the damaged area.
The metal roofing prices per sheet differ based on the material ranging between $350 – $1,500. The price for installation should also be included. An average metal roof installation ranges between $5.50 – $12 per square foot. In comparison with asphalt shingle roofing the corrugated steel panel roofing is more affordable costing about $1.20 – $5.00 per square foot. When choosing your roof, the design and color are also important. Metal roofing offers a variety of options to make a choice from. Now let us consider some features of metal roofing types.
- Aluminum roofing – In comparison with asphalt roofs aluminum roofs are more durable with 50 – 60 years’ lifespan. They are the lightest material used for roofing. An average aluminum cost per square foot is $3.25 – $5.75. Being an energy-efficient metal roof, aluminum roofing is also corrosion resistant. You can easily transform it into a waterproof material by applying elastomeric coatings on its surface.
- Copper roofing – The lifespan of a new copper roof is from 60-100 years with little maintenance. Besides durability the copper roofing is also highly resistant to fire, hail and mildew. Serving as a main roofing structure it is also a lightweight material. The price of copper roofing is slightly higher than that of asphalt shingles or wood shake roofing. It can cost as much as $15 per square foot. The main disadvantage of copper wire is its susceptibility to corrosion or oxidation at relatively normal temperature. It has a shorter life than fiber optic cable.
- Corrugated metal roofing – This type of roofing has long been a favorite in agricultural and industrial buildings. It can last much longer than an average asphalt shingles roof. It is durable and sturdy. The price for galvanized corrugated roof per meter is approximately $19.50. The price does not include the installation cost which is about $50 per square meter.
- Metal tile roofs – Metal tile roofs are the best from design and style point of view. This type of metal roofing is lighter, more durable and easier to maintain. It is both reliable and affordable. Zinc, copper and steel are the main materials used in metal tile roofs manufacturing. The average cost of a metal tile roof is $3 – $10 per square foot. The price may vary based on your place of habitat. Here you should also include the price for installation that in average ranges between $200 – $400.
- Tin roofing – Another option for metal roofing is tin roofing. It is usually made from rolled steel and coated with tin. This type of roof is durable and resistant to cracking. The advantage of tin roofing is that the sheets are made from 30-60 percent of recycled materials. With proper installation and maintenance its lifespan is about 40 years. The average cost of a tin roof is $3 – $15 per square foot.
As the total price both for product purchase and installation is calculated by square foot it is very important to figure out the exact territory that requires covering. As seen above, prices of metal roofing are different. However, the high price does not always assume good quality. Sometimes the roofing company you are interested in, may charge more than the other one, so before making your final choice you should research the roofing terms of at least several local roofing companies.
Author of a publication: Helen Kocharyan